|Library Name||British Library|
|Shelfmark||MS Egerton 2802|
|Folio Range||Whole MS (164 fols)|
Abbey of the Holy Cross at Quimperlé
Cartulary of the abbey of the Holy Cross at Quimperlé, including:
|Old Breton Materials||Yes|
|Irish / Hiberno-Latin materials||No|
|Connection with Brittany|
This is the cartulary of the abbey of the Holy Cross at Quimperlé. The MS was still at Quimperlé in the early nineteenth century, and only came to England when it was bought by Thomas Stapleton around 1840. The bulk of the MS was written during the first half of the twelfth century, although there are numerous later additions. In addition to charters, it also contains hagiographic materials concerning Saint Gurthiern and Saint Ninnoca, the sixth-century founder of the abbey of Quimperlé. The MS also contains papal lists as well as lists of the archbishops of Tours, lists of the bishops of Nantes, Vannes and Quimper, a list of the counts of Quimper, annals, judicial documents etc.; the cartulary proper, compiled by the monk Gurheden, occupies fols 52r–105r and 118r–141v.
|Number(s) in Bischoff's Katalog||n/a|
British Library Digitised Manuscripts; Henry, Quaghebeur and Tanguy 2014; ILLB Q236, Q237; L&S §922, 1000; Maître and de Berthou 1896.
|URLs for digital facsimile|
|Last Updated||2021-05-11 14:45:28|